Over 25 representatives from 10 companies attended the mandatory pre-proposal site visit for the Simon Sanchez High School Development project on April 4.
According to a statement from the Department of Public works and the Office of the Governor, the visit and the attendance at the pre-proposal conference held earlier that day, demonstrated “widespread interest and commitment” for the project.
The conference allowed developers to ask questions about the project, clarify request-for-proposal parameters, and get more information about the specific goals and requirements DPW, Adelup, the Guam Economic Development Authority, and the Guam Department of Education have for the project.

“We are not just looking for a contractor to build a school,” said Vincent Arriola, DPW’s director. “We are seeking a true partner to support the Simon Sanchez Sharks for the next 30 years.”
The Simon Sanchez project is a Public-Private Partnership, using a Finance, Demolition, Design, Build, Lease/Leaseback, and Insure/Capital Maintenance delivery method, DPW said. The developer selected for the project will be responsible for the destruction, maintenance, and financing of the school for 30 years.
During the conference, Arriola emphasized the strict project timeline of a two-year construction schedule for completion saying “We are looking for innovation, efficiency, and creativity from our partners.”
The Journal reported in March, that the new campus will occupy up to 300,000 square feet and feature state-of-the-art facilities to accommodate 2,000 students and 150 faculty and staff.
DPW said that RFP’s are due by 4 p.m. on May 23.
A developer is slated to be selected by June 20 with a groundbreaking anticipated for later this year. mbj